• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Knocking Noise

Steveh24

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
For a while now I've had a knocking noise coming from between the back of the gearbox and the shaft when the boat is in gear and the shaft is rotating, a friend had a look today and there is some play when you move the shaft just after the gland, which resembles the sound when you put it into gear

Can someone tell me what type of gland it is and what the problem can be, can it be repaired/replaced in the water.

1713734997790.png

For a while now I've had a knocking noise coming from between the back of the gearbox and the shaft when the boat is in gear and the shaft is rotating, a friend had a look today and there is some play when you move the shaft just after the gland, which resembles the sound when you put it into gear

Can someone tell me what type of gland it is and what the problem can be, can it be repaired/replaced in the water.

View attachment 62657

Hi Steven, looking at the stern gland i would suspect the knocking is coming from your cutlass bearing due to excessive wear. There is nothing in the gland that will make a noise as it is basically self aligning so the noise is the shaft rattling round in the cutlass bearing which is located externally in a housing bolted to the back of the keel. This will obviously involve the boat coming out the water and the shaft removed to replace the cutlass bearing sleeve. Hope this is of help.
All the very best, Trev

Hi Steven, looking at the stern gland i would suspect the knocking is coming from your cutlass bearing due to excessive wear. There is nothing in the gland that will make a noise as it is basically self aligning so the noise is the shaft rattling round in the cutlass bearing which is located externally in a housing bolted to the back of the keel. This will obviously involve the boat coming out the water and the shaft removed to replace the cutlass bearing sleeve. Hope this is of help.
All the very best, Trev
Thanks Trev

I think you are right and it is the cutlass bearing which hasn't been replaced since the boat was built back in 2007.

The noise disappears as you increase the revs, so I think I can leave it until end of Aug and take it out of the water for a couple of weeks

Nice little video on how to remove the bearing, but where do you get the tool from.
It does tell you in the video, its from the US,
Weekend' R products or

but
could try for hire of half shaft puller kit, or buy these:
https://www.drapertools.com/product/12390/hydraulic-bearing-separator-and-puller-set-8-piece/
but would need to sort out the 'split pipe' to follow bearing itself

Last edited:
It does tell you in the video, its from the US,
Weekend' R products or

but
could try for hire of half shaft puller kit, or buy these:
https://www.drapertools.com/product/12390/hydraulic-bearing-separator-and-puller-set-8-piece/
but would need to sort out the 'split pipe' to follow bearing itself
Thanks for the info, but the marine engineering company at my marina said they would get the cutlass bearing out when it comes out of the water, they said it cost around £30 for them to remove it and push the new one in.

Back