• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Chesil a blowing

charr

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all
Went to mid chesil yesterday afternoon for a chance of a cod
Jesus, went over the top to massive seas and strong wind in your face !!
Started with one rod baited with squid and blacks from Abbo tackle , thanks Arron life saver . Held bottom ok with 6oz even during the low water period
Big dump coming in , no weed which made fishing possible, slowly started catching dogs which is ok as it gives the cod time to find the bait
Finally around 2hrs after low nod nod slack
boom target species.!! Around 5lbs
Carried on more dogs and straps, sea getting bigger had to go to 7oz to hold bottom
Great session enjoyed by me and my new friend, a little vole came across the beach and started eating leftovers 4 ft away
See if you can spot him on the pic ha !!
A word of caution, don’t take risks if you fish big seas .. she doesn’t care …
I saw a dog walker with 2 labs playing in the surf just to get a photo
Luckily they didn’t get sucked into the gutter game over
Thanks for reading
Stay lucky
Gray

Attachments

• D812FDB7-8DBB-4719-990A-C119340E15E0.jpeg
    D812FDB7-8DBB-4719-990A-C119340E15E0.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 58
  • F811B964-BE1E-4C1C-96EC-4D371952CEDC.jpeg
    F811B964-BE1E-4C1C-96EC-4D371952CEDC.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 56
Great report mate, good effort.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Thanks for the positive comments, I really enjoy difficult conditions and achieving the target species
When I gutted the codling there was a sea mouse and a small edible crab in it’s stomach !!
Just goes to show it’s not all about worm
Right place right time is the key I think
Thanks Gray

Great result! Keeping thinking I ought to try and give Chesil a try now my local marks are mostly full of ting. Checked AA route map planner, to remind myself of the journey time - 3.16 hours 😕. It is a long trip especially if you don’t find some cod.

Great result! Keeping thinking I ought to try and give Chesil a try now my local marks are mostly full of ting. Checked AA route map planner, to remind myself of the journey time - 3.16 hours 😕. It is a long trip especially if you don’t find some cod.
Come on Nigel
You know you want to !!
I think they’ll be here for a while
Speak to Pete to give you heads up
I know I’m out soon …

Thanks for the positive comments, I really enjoy difficult conditions and achieving the target species
When I gutted the codling there was a sea mouse and a small edible crab in it’s stomach !!
Just goes to show it’s not all about worm
Right place right time is the key I think
Thanks Gray
Interesting you say that Charr. Almost all of the codling we catch up this way are caught on worm. Usually black. Rarely seen a single worm, or part of, in any of the guts I've cleaned. I know that worm are probably very quickly digested (apart from my rubbery blanched 'leathers'😊) as they're largely skin and blood. Pound coin sized crab and whiting? even rockling? definitely are present in 80%ish of codling Ive cleaned. But the no1 angling bait by a long, long, very long way is worm. Tried everything else from peeler to squid to cart to bluey to clams etc, and variations thereof. Even the livebait rig. Yet nothing remotely touches big worm baits on 6/0 viking 3ft pennel pats fished uptide style with a good bow in the line when those codling are "in and on" (which is generally in a big sea)
Strange game this angling lark, eh!

Last edited:
Nice pig charr been fdd sad hing well on cod this year good job too as it’s mainly been shit there this year but weathers been shite 👍👍👍

Interesting you say that Charr. Almost all of the codling we catch up this way are caught on worm. Usually black. Rarely seen a single worm, or part of, in any of the guts I've cleaned. I know that worm are probably very quickly digested (apart from my rubbery blanched 'leathers'😊) as they're largely skin and blood. Pound coin sized crab and whiting? even rockling? definitely are present in 80%ish of codling Ive cleaned. But the no1 angling bait by a long, long, very long way is worm. Tried everything else from peeler to squid to cart to bluey to clams etc, and variations thereof. Even the livebait rig. Yet nothing remotely touches big worm baits on 6/0 viking 3ft pennel pats fished uptide style with a good bow in the line when those codling are "in and on" (which is generally in a big sea)
Strange game this angling lark, eh!
I do agree blow is probably the best cod bait , but combos of crab and squid seem to do the business and not forgetting fresh blacks
A stinger rig can be deadly on chesil providing your not live baiting a dog or strap !!!
Good to share info
Gray

I do agree blow is probably the best cod bait , but combos of crab and squid seem to do the business and not forgetting fresh blacks
A stinger rig can be deadly on chesil providing your not live baiting a dog or strap !!!
Good to share info
Gray
You're quite right Charr, it is good to share and contrast info👍 Prefered bait/s can be a very localised thing. I've caught well on cart and peeler in the Mersey when lug baits havd been largely ignored. Likewise I have mates in other areas that would think twice about even going fishing without squid in their armoury. On the E coast I know lads who are crab/cart fanatics. Because thats what works for them on their home waters. It just so happens that worm reigns supreme here on my bit of the coast

Fishing hard and continually tinkering over many years locally I'd bet my house on catching more and better codling on worm and very few indeed on squid from these marks. Doggies and thornbacks - that would be a very different story! As stated I think it's a local thing. Cocktail baits can and do work on occasions but obviously these results muddy the comparison with single bait types. Not far away in the Mersey it's a different story, but still worm on its own is very effective, as it is in the Solway.

Do you get a lot of squid in the BC? Is that maybe why it fishes well, because it's a prevalent food source for the cod? You certainly seem to get a better stamp of codling and some proper cod down your way. Please send some north🙏😄

It's all interesting stuff👍

Back