• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Where does a river end and the sea start for rod license purposes

wobert

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
My reason for starting to go fishing is to catch food rather than for sport and so looking more towards saltwater fishing. I might end up getting a (freshwater) rod licence for England & Wales, but, in the mean time, where is the boundary between needing a license and not ? (I didn't find UK Gov advice on this on the fishing license web-site.) Is it at the upper tidal reach on a river or somewhere else ? Thanks.

My reason for starting to go fishing is to catch food rather than for sport and so looking more towards saltwater fishing. I might end up getting a (freshwater) rod licence for England & Wales, but, in the mean time, where is the boundary between needing a license and not ? (I didn't find UK Gov advice on this on the fishing license web-site.) Is it at the upper tidal reach on a river or somewhere else ? Thanks.
Where are you fishing?

Roughly speaking it’s at the tidal limit but in my experience the two can overlap.

As far as I know, if it’s still tidal and you’re not fishing for coarse or game fish, you don’t need a license, but perhaps the EA website has more info?

Certainly here here the tidal stretches are ‘free’ to fish but only where it’s public access - further upstream it is still tidal but the bank is privately owned so no fishing allowed.

Roughly speaking it’s at the tidal limit but in my experience the two can overlap.

As far as I know, if it’s still tidal and you’re not fishing for coarse or game fish, you don’t need a license, but perhaps the EA website has more info?

Certainly here here the tidal stretches are ‘free’ to fish but only where it’s public access - further upstream it is still tidal but the bank is privately owned so no fishing allowed.
I’m yet to land a carp off chesil

It's not all the same, close to where i am they use the toll bridge at the Mawdach Estuary as a boundary i was told, the seaward side you can fish without a licence unless it is for sea trout or salmon, and the land side you need a freshwater licence even though the tide goes beyond that point.

Best thing to do is ask locally as everywhere is different.

As far as I know, if it’s still tidal and you’re not fishing for coarse or game fish, you don’t need a license,
Think that's covered in the link that I put up Tony.

However, the issue becomes more complicated further away from the sea. Anglers fishing inland in estuaries, inlets and on riverbanks do not need a fishing licence if they are using sea fishing tackle to target sea fish species within tidal waters, which is defined as the water level rising and falling with the incoming and outgoing tide.

"In England and Wales anglers fishing in the sea (up to 6 nautical miles i.e.‑ from a pier, beach or boat) do not require a rod licence unless they are fishing for salmon or migratory trout. A salmon and trout licence is required for fishing for these species in either fresh or salt water."

This is a quote from the EA

Think that's covered in the link that I put up Tony.

However, the issue becomes more complicated further away from the sea. Anglers fishing inland in estuaries, inlets and on riverbanks do not need a fishing licence if they are using sea fishing tackle to target sea fish species within tidal waters, which is defined as the water level rising and falling with the incoming and outgoing tide.
Yep I was referring to rivers, not the open coast, but our local river is tidal to a point (obviously) and at the extreme reaches there will be a mix of sea and game/coarse fish.
More game tbh

But as you say, as long as you’re using sea gear to target sea fish, and it’s tidal, should be fine

I thought it went without saying that sea fishing per se doesn’t need a rod license
Salmon and Trout (Salmo sp.) – These species require a freshwater fishing licence if they are to be retained, regardless of where they are caught. Anglers should not target this species unless they have the appropriate licence and any which are inadvertently caught should be immediately returned.

"In England and Wales anglers fishing in the sea (up to 6 nautical miles i.e.‑ from a pier, beach or boat) do not require a rod licence unless they are fishing for salmon or migratory trout. A salmon and trout licence is required for fishing for these species in either fresh or salt water."

This is a quote from the EA

If its migratory salmonids then it's 6 miles beyond MLW

Ok (y)(y)

I thought you meant the other way!

Salmon and Trout (Salmo sp.) – These species require a freshwater fishing licence if they are to be retained, regardless of where they are caught. Anglers should not target this species unless they have the appropriate licence and any which are inadvertently caught should be immediately returned.
Agreed but we were talking about targeting sea fish?

Ok (y)(y)

I thought you meant the other way!
Different again in Scotland where the District Fishery Boards are in charge, but technically you do need the appropriate written permission (S) or licence (in E and W) to target migratory salmonids within 6 miles of the coast anywhere in the UK. I very much doubt you'd ever get your collar felt out at sea but you could well do when you land. It has happened before!

Back