• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Pushnets?

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Anyone use them? With the price of bait continually rising and fresh bait being so key for a lot of species, I'm really looking to focus on being more self-sustainable with bait. Thinking a decent pushnet will perhaps be the best option for efficiently collecting prawns/shrimp/sandeels etc. Was wondering if anyone else does this or has any advice on the subject. Tight lines,

Anyone use them? With the price of bait continually rising and fresh bait being so key for a lot of species, I'm really looking to focus on being more self-sustainable with bait. Thinking a decent pushnet will perhaps be the best option for efficiently collecting prawns/shrimp/sandeels etc. Was wondering if anyone else does this or has any advice on the subject. Tight lines,
I have one from the 70's and use it over sand when the tide is out around Lancing/Worthing area. I tend to get plenty of prawns & shrimps, not many sandeels about though. A few undersized place/dabs & weavers which are always returned.

I have one from the 70's and use it over sand when the tide is out around Lancing/Worthing area. I tend to get plenty of prawns & shrimps, not many sandeels about though. A few undersized place/dabs & weavers which are always returned.

Would you recommend getting one for bait collection then? Also want to try them for the table too, heard good reviews 😋 Appreciate the info,Tight lines,

I have one I made some years ago, they work well, but dont get one that is too big as they ar a bugger to push .
As Beach says , I have netted sandeel, lots of prawns, small flatties, and some weavers as well, so do take care .I made mine for bait collecting , never thought of actually eating what I caught in the net .

Dave

Not had a lot of luck with Prawns as bait. A couple of guys on my usual pier were putting baited Prawn nets down last year, and had a couple of buckets of big Prawns near 10cm long. With not being in the best of health, and few sandy beaches near here, a push net is not something I would try.

Years ago (when fitter & stronger) we used to net sandeels by wading the estuary at Bantham at low tide with a long seine net before heading out in my mate's boat for Bass & Pollock. Easy to find some back then. Used to enjoy that!

Not had a lot of luck with Prawns as bait. A couple of guys on my usual pier were putting baited Prawn nets down last year, and had a couple of buckets of big Prawns near 10cm long. With not being in the best of health, and few sandy beaches near here, a push net is not something I would try.

Years ago (when fitter & stronger) we used to net sandeels by wading the estuary at Bantham at low tide with a long seine net before heading out in my mate's boat for Bass & Pollock. Easy to find some back then. Used to enjoy that!

Yes some live sandeel would be most welcome! Even using fresh deads or fresh frozen. Occasionally get some bigger ones on the sabikis and metals, sometimes 30cm long!

Back