• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Jimmy’s Cornwall Fishing Adventure

Jimmyfloydreturns

Reaction score
Evening all,

I had a long running thread about holiday fishing near Padstow over at the other place, long abandoned since they ruined the forum with adverts.

So here’s my new thread. It will be updated once, maybe twice a year following our holidays to the glorious Cornwall.

Onto this year and my first session was a little bit of rockpooling for mini species near Harlyn Bay. This was great fun and I was doing well catching a variety of species until I knocked my phone….this very phone…. to the bottom of Davey Jone’s rockpool ?‍♂️

I reached down, coat and all, up to my shoulder to retrieve my phone and desperately tried drying it off. Cold, wet, grumpy and with a phone angrily buzzing like a swarm of hornets (not to mention a screen akin to a TV that’s lost it’s signal) I trudged dejected back to wifey.

Unbelievably a night submerged in dry rice fixed my old phone of any aquatic ills and it fired up and pictures retrieved! These are a couple of the mini species I caught, can anyone identify them? I’m presuming blennies or suchlike.

ED7F561F-0FE9-443C-B564-FB41ACE9E33E.jpeg

A close up of the head - big gob on this one!

9F8A2F9C-FA10-4810-817F-066C541F4FCA.jpg

And another different species, this one was feisty!

86A319C3-FBD1-4556-A08A-0A2F078DDA6B.jpeg

I would love to have stayed as these rock pools were deep and teeming with life. Not only the usual bottom dwellers pictured here but with my polarised sunglasses I saw shoals of small-ish silver fish, likely bass or mullet, zooming across the open space to slink into the dark depths of the pool.

Next session was Padstow. I always thought lower beach at low tide would be good as there is relatively deep water and surely a wide variety of species. Those who read my previous thread will have seen I’ve caught small bass, whiting and a coal fish from this spot so I was confident, especially as the flood tide coincided with dusk.

However, despite my best efforts (including many, many squid and black lug sausages being thrown out) it was a blank. I didn’t overly care though, it was calm and beautifully peaceful. After 18:00 as the rain rolled in I was even the only grockle within sight - bliss!

775CCE3B-5B9F-4B9B-87BD-E0E0BBDA3CEA.jpeg

Until next time ladies and gentlemen.

Robert.

Last edited:
Evening all,

I had a long running thread about holiday fishing near Padstow over at the over place, long abandoned since they ruined the forum with adverts.

So here’s my new thread. It will be updated once, maybe twice a year following our holidays to the glorious Cornwall.

Onto this year and my first session was a little bit of fun, rockpooling for mini species near Harlyn Bay. This was great fun and I was doing well catching a variety of species until I knocked my phone….this very phone…. to the bottom of Davey Jone’s rockpool ?‍♂️

I reached down, coat and all, up to my shoulder to retrieve my phone and desperately tried drying it off. Cold, wet, grumpy and with a phone angrily buzzing like a swarm of hornets (not to mention a screen akin to a TV that’s lost it’s signal) I trudged dejected back to wifey.

Unbelievably a night submerged in dry rice fixed my old phone of any aquatic ills and it fired up and pictures retrieved! These are a couple of the mini species I caught, can anyone identify them? I’m presuming blennies or suchlike.

View attachment 33655

A close up of the head - big gob on this one!

View attachment 33656

And another different species, this one was feisty!

View attachment 33658

I would love to have stayed as these rock pools were deep and teeming with life. Not only the usual bottom dwellers pictured here but with my polarised sunglasses I saw shoals of small-ish silver fish, likely bass or mullet, zooming across the open space to slink into the dark depths of the pool.

Next session was Padstow. I always thought lower beach at low tide would be good as there is relatively deep water and surely a wide variety of species. Those who read my previous thread will have seen I’ve caught small bass, whiting and a coal fish from this spot so I was confident, especially as the flood coincided with dusk.

However, despite my best efforts (including many, many squid and black lug sausages being thrown out) it was a blank. I didn’t overly care though, it was calm and beautifully peaceful. After 18:00 as the rain rolled in I was even the only grockle in site - bliss!

View attachment 33659

Until next time ladies and gentlemen.

Robert.
I was there a couple of weeks ago just alongPXL_20220922_054640960~2-EFFECTS.jpgPXL_20220922_074035962~2.jpgPXL_20220922_072638863~2.jpg from chiddley pumps and had a small bass and a sea trout.

It looks very bassy indeed! Top water lure I reckon would be great.

I had a good look at that tidal swimming pool too, fairly sure that would be fun at low tide with a few wrasse and the mini species in there.

I had a good look at that tidal swimming pool too, fairly sure that would be fun at low tide with a few wrasse and the mini species in there.
When you say top water, do you mean surface (like a floating lure) or a shallow one..

Seen mullet in that pool whilst swimming in it

Good effort Jimmy, great report.

They look like blennies to me but I’m not up on the minis so could be wrong!

Cracking wrasse and bass bait but they look a bit to cute to stick on a hook!

When you say top water, do you mean surface (like a floating lure) or a shallow one..

Both - like surface poppers plus shallow divers. Maybe some weedless soft plastics too.

This is all conjecture though, I’ve only ever caught two tiny bass on lures so I don’t know what I’m talking about ?

Good effort Jimmy, great report.

They look like blennies to me but I’m not up on the minis so could be wrong!

Cracking wrasse and bass bait but they look a bit to cute to stick on a hook!

I couldn’t use them for bait they were far too characterful ?

They also seem to be able to breath out of water - at Hawkers I lifted a hand sized rock near the high tide line in search of a good skimmer and there were four of them under it!

Both - like surface poppers plus shallow divers. Maybe some weedless soft plastics too.

This is all conjecture though, I’ve only ever caught two tiny bass on lures so I don’t know what I’m talking about ?
You've done better than me - I've only ever caught one Schoolie on a lure! Savage Gear Panic Prey.

Did catch what I thought was a small Bass many years ago, but was Green as Grass then & wasn't sure it was a Bass.

Great report and photos Robert - well done! ?? (y)(y)

You were lucky to get your phone up & running again - don't doubt that you did, but takes some believing!

Re 'the other place', never had a problem with the Ads on there - I only access the web with my Laptop except in emergencies, and with an Ad blocker installed in Firefox, I never saw an advert. Same with Youtube.
It was the attitude of a few over there that only seem to be there to cause controversy and trouble, and the guilty parties are still doing it. Pop in there occasionally to catch up with one or two that haven't made the move.

Back