• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Bream, plaice, pilchard, baillons - ballan - corkwing wrasse and more. Swanage.

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
After meeting my mates on Tuesday night (something we have done for over 40 years or so!) I said my goodbyes and left at 10, hoping to get though the roadworks on the A31 before they shut the roads for overnight repairs. It has to be done I know, but the diversions they put in place are so looooong! Big blow going on and plenty of rain, but the roads were quiet and I was pulling up to my spot to sleep the night in the van before 11.30.

The weather forecast was good for the Wednesday, my bait, was in the van fridge and I was looking forward to a nights sleep without my wife constantly trying to get herself comfortable all night!

Had a decent nights sleep and woke up looking forward to the sunrise and my Greggs bargain breakfast bacon roll and coffee from the shop only a few hundred yards away. The picture below was my view of the sun rising behind Swanage Pier. What a way to start the day!
20210929_071255.jpg
The pier was open early and I was parked on the pier around 8. The pier volunteers are a great bunch of people and good to chat with. The divers were there already (also part of the Greggs breakfast appreciation society) and cramming in some extra vapes before heading to to their dive site.

I was to be joined by @cap'nhaddock later, so wanted something rare under my belt before he arrived. Fished with the usual one up with running ledger bottom, size 6 long shank hooks and small chunks of rag or whole maddies and one with small Sabikis. Rods my usual 9ft spinning ugly sticks. Everything was tangled and messy, I set up a float rod for mackerel and gar as well (untouched all day) and nothing went right. Hooks in my hoodie, dropping things, I felt like a complete amateur and glad I had the pier to myself to save my embarrassment.

Anyway first drop down gets me the bragging rights rare-ish fish a Baillons wrasse. You can see the black dot in the dorsal fin, the red fringe fins and the pattern under the eyes is dotted not continuous. That said I did not realise it at the time!!!!
20210929_092445.jpg
This was followed by regular ballan and corkwing wrasse, until a tompot blenny came in.
20210930_150947.jpg
Next up was a little pollack.
20210930_153340.jpg
I was trying the sabikis to try and catch one of the numerous bait fish swimming past, but it was just not happening. My main target for the day was a pilchard. Haddock is with me now and plucking pilchard and sand smelt out with relative and regular ease!!! No sign of any sand eels this time. I couldn't not work out why he could get them and I couldn't and he is taking great pleasure letting me know it is his technique and experience. Love a bit of banter! I put on a new set of sabikis and hey presto got my pilchard! Also got plenty of sand smelt, but no sand eels or my other target a launce.
Pilchard.
20210929_212300.jpg
Sand smelt.
20210930_154238.jpg
There is a spot on the pier that usually holds dragonet's. Lined it up, cast to it and in no time and to my surprise, considering my start to the day, in comes a dragonet. In the sun it seemed very translucent and somehow different, so I called on haddock for confirmation it was not a different type.
20210929_124121.jpg
We have now moved up top and Haddock is battling something on his spinning rod and its not a mini species! I went to help him hand ball it up onto the pier, but with a big effort he managed to flip it over the rail. A nice black bream. Time to change spot again I think. Bigger worm and slivers of gar sent out and in no time one rod is banging away and the retrieve is "interesting" as the fish is kiting and diving around. Lift up and my first bream is on the pier. They sure give a good account of themselves don't they! Time for a wee and I left Haddock "in charge". I am wandering back and Haddock is waving at me. I don't have to run do I? It looks like I do. Good job you bungeed that rod on he said, as he is stood with his foot on the bottom! Its been trying to get over the rail. He did not want to lift it as I was also hoping for a red mullet and I have to lift the fish myself to count
for the species hunt. This was on a bigger rod and good job too. It put loads of pressure on and turned out to be the best one of the day. Picture shows the best one in my hands and mine and Haddocks on the floor.
20210929_161920.jpg
Next up was a pretty and unexpected plaice.
20210929_152749.jpg
The ferry came in and that seemed to drive off the the bream, BOOOOOOO! It was also getting near to pier kick off time and guys were arriving for a pier comp so we left.
I still needed a shanny for a different comp, so we went to the the quay wall and set up dropping straight down. We were getting wrasse and a better stamp of fish than we were on the pier certainly for Haddock anyway. Lots of people eating chips around us and the smell was making me hungry! I decided no chips till I got my shanny. It did not take long!
20210930_153945.jpg
Shanny challenge done, we had celebratory fish and chips and they were goood!

Spoke with some locals and helped them with smelly bait for crab catching and casting practice for a lad with a 3ft rod!

So a good trip all round, good kip, great sunrise, barely endurable company! One new fish for my main species hunts giving me 37 in total, less on this hunt, and a total of 11 species of fish caught on the day. Don't know how many fish I caught, but lots and lots. No road diversions there or back.

Need to target rays (only got a small eye so far) cod and mullet now.

Species caught this trip.

Baillons wrasse
Ballan wrasse.
Corkwing wrasse.
Pollock.
Tompot blenny.
Pilchard.
Sand smelt.
Dragonet.
Black bream.
Plaice.
Shanny.

Last edited:
You didn't mention the pitying looks we got when sitting in the shelter out of the wind; with the bags of various stuff about us and our general appearance I can't imagine how people would take us to be homeless cider fuelled vagrants.

You didn't mention the pitying looks we got when sitting in the shelter out of the wind; with the bags of various stuff about us and our general appearance I can't imagine how people would take us to be homeless cider fuelled vagrants.
I can just imagine ???? this? Did you have your motability scooter as well????
Should have put a Begging Bowl, could have done better than the fishing ???????

Cracking amount of fish goat well done beys
Thanks. It was a typical day for the venue with lots of species, which was the target for the day as was the tiny pilchard. I have blanked there this year though with Haddock, which is unheard of. Will be switching to bigger stuff now, so more blanks on the card!

Thanks. It was a typical day for the venue with lots of species, which was the target for the day as was the tiny pilchard. I have blanked there this year though with Haddock, which is unheard of. Will be switching to bigger stuff now, so more blanks on the card!
Lots of blanks around this year mate funny old year best we forget about this one and look forward to the next ?

Lots of blanks around this year mate funny old year best we forget about this one and look forward to the next ?
Most of my ray targeting sessions have been weeded out which is a pain. Cant give in to it though!

Wow Wow, what a cracking session, very well done on the great haul you had Keith (y) (y) , did your Dragonet have 3 or 4 spines on the pre-operculum, can be a bit hard to see all 4, if had 3 its a reticulated. Very jealous of the Baillions.

Nice session with a good mixed bag of critters. I was there the day after you. Not fishing on holiday with the Mrs and little one. My only catch that day was a toy on the teddy picker in the arcade, PB sloth toy!

Next summer he should be old enough for some light tackle mini bashing, can’t wait.

Wow Wow, what a cracking session, very well done on the great haul you had Keith (y) (y) , did your Dragonet have 3 or 4 spines on the pre-operculum, can be a bit hard to see all 4, if had 3 its a reticulated. Very jealous of the Baillions.
Thanks for that mate, l appreciate your comments and support. It just had a different look about it especially in the light. I did not photo with my card, so if it was different l can't count it. So much to learn. That is a big part of the enjoyment for me. If that is the flowery bony bit on top it was 3 and they were tiny!
Had a couple of baillions. Haddock saw 6 or 7 on a recent session with his grandchildren and their mates!

Nice session with a good mixed bag of critters. I was there the day after you. Not fishing on holiday with the Mrs and little one. My only catch that day was a toy on the teddy picker in the arcade, PB sloth toy!

Next summer he should be old enough for some light tackle mini bashing, can’t wait.
I love Swanage. It's a great place, about 75 mins away for me. The pier would be a great place to get a little one interested as is Weymouth. Feel free to contact me when you come down as it might be an excuse for another trip there.
Oh and well done on the Sloth!

Back