• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Need advice

AngryCod

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Hello everybody really needs some advice trying to get a good quality fishfinder for our Boat but don’t know what to go for. We have a beautiful wooden boat of roughly just under 18 feet long and she’s going to be perfect for fishing of most types, but we are looking for something of good quality in the web for fishfinder something that can preferably do more than just find fish but also helps us to chart where we are and make the best of our fishing sessions and hopefully helps us to not only find fish but stay safe as well doing it we are in the middle of our research at the moment but if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to either comment below or message me thanks.

Welcome to the Madhouse AngryCod! 👍👍

Never had a boat (or not yet!) so I'm not much help to ya, sadly.

Garmin come with maps built in but you have to buy transducer seperate ,
Lowrance come with transducer but you need to buy maps,
personally I prefer Garmin.
Budget will dictate what you buy ,if only getting one unit get biggest you can,makes split screen easier to read.
I have 1 7inch and 1 5inch ,and use 7in as GPS and 5in as sounder.
Welcome to forum .Mick.

I've a Raymarine Element 9hv on my RIB. After decades of old school basic 2d and seperate plotter its in a completely different league! Getting the transducer in the optimal position is key to them all. Rather than drilling loads of holes in your transom do lots of trials with it temporarily mounted to a pole. Lawrence, Humminbird, Garmin all make good kit so shop around and HAGGLE !

Welcome
I used to have a Lawrance fish finder on my boat. None are cheap so best go to a chandlers and hope they know what they are talking about.

20ft boat - transducer cabled to stern - I have a Raymarine Dragonfly 5. Does all you want. I use Navionics (Garmin) UK & Holland chart on my Ipad as a back up on charts and sea floor and provides tides and weather (can work on it at home to plan trips). Tend to use it as a chart & the dragongfly for fish finding.

Lots of good stuff around but recommend stick with established brands Garmin. Raymarine and Lowrance.

Good luck !

Back