• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Penn reels

That's why I'm leaving the mk4's alone mate.
Thought you used Tronixpro Guerilla multis Wolf ?. Have you looked at the new Banzai ones mate..

Ian.

Just bought a pair of fathom 2 stardrag mags in the 12 size, feel very solid , not as refined as the 7ht's but feel a bit better in use than the casting specials which is odd as I thought they were just a smaller version.

Despite the horror stories, I use a 525 MK4
Loaded with 80lb braid and used solely for skull dragging.
Not failed yet......
It will .... give it time ;)

I use the 515 mag 4,
Narrower spool and frame means less chance of alleged distortion! taken some stick on here for using them in the past but in the right hands they outcast the fathom 12 all day long 😉
They definitely distort (and don't leave it in your car on a hot day or lean rod and reel near a radiator) .... some of them also go like a bag of spanners prematurely and they have shite mouldings out of the box.

This is a mag3 but the couple of mag4s I've seen hadn't shown much improvement ...

515mag3_plate copy.jpg
The casting comment is daft .... they are about the same size spool with the same size bearings, same spindle setup and same mag system. There will be nothing between them so long as they are running okay.

Just bought a pair of fathom 2 stardrag mags in the 12 size, feel very solid , not as refined as the 7ht's but feel a bit better in use than the casting specials which is odd as I thought they were just a smaller version.
Will be interesting to know how you got on with them,looking forward to reading your write up.

Does anyone use the penn mag 4's for beach fishing? I've been offered a pair.
Had no problems so far with my 525 mag 4, despite the warnings from blowhards that haven't actually owned one,I read the review on here and figured Mike and co are fairly knowledgeable about tackle,it was under £100 new so it is probably inferior to a £300 pound reel and won't last as long,ye pays yer money

Does anyone use the penn mag 4's for beach fishing? I've been offered a pair.
Overpriced and over here imo.

Had no problems so far with my 525 mag 4, despite the warnings from blowhards that haven't actually owned one,I read the review on here and figured Mike and co are fairly knowledgeable about tackle,it was under £100 new so it is probably inferior to a £300 pound reel and won't last as long,ye pays yer money
I haven't owned one (nor would I) ... I take it that makes me a blowhard does it?

I haven't owned one (nor would I) ... I take it that makes me a blowhard does it?
Why would you own one you don't go fishing 😊you could put it on a mantle piece I suppose 🤷 most reels have problems even the expensive ones,if they didn't you would be out of business pretty quickly.

It will .... give it time ;)

They definitely distort (and don't leave it in your car on a hot day or lean rod and reel near a radiator) .... some of them also go like a bag of spanners prematurely and they have shite mouldings out of the box.

This is a mag3 but the couple of mag4s I've seen hadn't shown much improvement ...

View attachment 63547
The casting comment is daft .... they are about the same size spool with the same size bearings, same spindle setup and same mag system. There will be nothing between them so long as they are running okay.
That’s odd as you posted this earlier in the year…quote
“The 515s are like a different reel ... I wonder if they are made in a different factory because they suffer much less from the quality issues.”
🤷 confused dot com.

That’s odd as you posted this earlier in the year…quote
“The 515s are like a different reel ... I wonder if they are made in a different factory because they suffer much less from the quality issues.”
🤷 confused dot com.
Much less doesn't mean not at all .... it's like the difference between a turd and a polished turd. Feel free to keep searching through the archives.

Last edited:
Why would you own one you don't go fishing 😊you could put it on a mantle piece I suppose 🤷 most reels have problems even the expensive ones,if they didn't you would be out of business pretty quickly.
I'm quite fussy about my fishing company .... hence most people won't have any idea about my fishing.

There is no perfect reel .... but its a very low bar set to be better than the Chinese Penn mags. Another reel repairer describes them as "manufactured worn out".

You didn't answer the question.

I'm quite fussy about my fishing company .... hence most people won't have any idea about my fishing.

There is no perfect reel .... but its a very low bar set to be better than the Chinese Penn mags. Another reel repairer describes them as "manufactured worn out".

You didn't answer the question.
I'm not disputing the fact you have a good knowledge of reels, it's your job,but you would have to use one to give a fair and balanced view,I would make the analogy that a journalist reviewing a car would not give an opinion without test driving it,look at the many reviews online and you will see the reel scores 4.9 out of 5 and as I stated the review on here is good,perhaps you would like to pm Mike and tell him to remove it as it's misleading, it's a cheap reel and to achieve that the manufacturing standard is not as good as reels three times the price,I have used mine for six months and it casts well and has wound in skate and double shots of doggies with no bother,oh and i probably have a better idea of your fishing habits than most on here bar one of course.

i probably have a better idea of your fishing habits than most on here bar one of course.
You don't know me anything like as well as you think .. nor does bar one quite frankly!

A review of a reel out of a box is just that .... just tells you what it's like out of the box and after a few sessions. I don't have to use a reel to see that they end up on my bench busted before their time (or in a number of cases) within a few sessions. I don't need to pm Mike, I wasn't talking to Mike. Six months is not much of a test for anything.

Back