• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Flatties

Well I went out for 2 1/2 hours today - firstly pulled pots and had 3 good sized lobsters - 1 had a v nicked in the tail so went back to breed - but 2 good keepers. Then me and my eldest son went in close to the beach with a fair east/north east wind and had a drift. It was towards the end of the incoming tide and we must have had the tide slowing down the drift a bit because we were drifting between 0.2 and 0.8 kts. I used size 4 hooks on a long flowing trace - bait- lug worm tipped with mackerel strip. My son was using a spoon with same hooks and straight lug worm. First drift and my rod was rattling - so I let line out and let it develop for an age before bringing in a nice 38cm plaice. Shortly afterwards my son had a tub gurnard.

We then started the drift again and my son tipped his lug with mackerel. We both had dog fish. I said one more drop, as I was getting texts telling me not much longer! We had drifted further this time and my rod pulled round and this time it was a good ray.

I’ll be trying this all again for sure in the future with different baits too! Chuffed I got a flattie but I want more and a turbot too!

Thanks everyone who inputted advice on this, I have had dabs, plaice and flounder from the shore but only ray from the boat!

Attachments

• IMG_7191.jpeg
    IMG_7191.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6200.jpeg
    IMG_6200.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 10
If fishing at anchor and the tide run allows it try casting away from the boat and twitching the bait back slowly with pauses. Cast in an arc to cover more ground. Sometimes they just stay put and need the bait to come to them, especially at slack water

Well I went out for 2 1/2 hours today - firstly pulled pots and had 3 good sized lobsters - 1 had a v nicked in the tail so went back to breed - but 2 good keepers. Then me and my eldest son went in close to the beach with a fair east/north east wind and had a drift. It was towards the end of the incoming tide and we must have had the tide slowing down the drift a bit because we were drifting between 0.2 and 0.8 kts. I used size 4 hooks on a long flowing trace - bait- lug worm tipped with mackerel strip. My son was using a spoon with same hooks and straight lug worm. First drift and my rod was rattling - so I let line out and let it develop for an age before bringing in a nice 38cm plaice. Shortly afterwards my son had a tub gurnard.

We then started the drift again and my son tipped his lug with mackerel. We both had dog fish. I said one more drop, as I was getting texts telling me not much longer! We had drifted further this time and my rod pulled round and this time it was a good ray.

I’ll be trying this all again for sure in the future with different baits too! Chuffed I got a flattie but I want more and a turbot too!

Thanks everyone who inputted advice on this, I have had dabs, plaice and flounder from the shore but only ray from the boat!
Nice one! Fresh mackerel strips is good for the turbot, or fresh launce fillet (or live launce).
If you can find a few sandbanks holding lounge or eels, you’d be in the neighbourhood.
Feather for those with sabikis while drifting your other baits.

Ah thats great to see thats a nice little Plaice!! I did think it was only a matter of time i know the grounds your fishing and you'll end up pulling all sorts from that area. Certianly a chance of a Turbot especially deep off Praa Sands as Mr Fish said fillet a Mackerel and cut in half length ways making 2 nice baits just try to keep the traces as long as you can get away with. You may well see a Turbot following your bait as your reeling in so id reel in slowly, We have had them take mid-water and they seem to hang around in pairs or small groups so if you get one then that bit of sea bed will often have more so worth noting your position. Well done my friend perseverance certianly pays off. Nice to hear theres a few Lobsters in the pots too.

Well done Nick! Target achieved. Glad you got what you were looking for! 🎣🎣👍👍

Not sure about how the driving test App screenshots came into it though! 😂😂

Do not know your patch. I drift for them in my patch .They tend to be localised so I drift ( ideal is 1.5 knots - max 3). Mark on plotter as soon as caught & use tracker. At eo drift go back over catch site(s).1/0 flowing trace with some beads with weight bumping along bottom on 6" rotten bottom. I use rag / lug (local worm) tipped with a strip of squid.
As mentioned by others give some slack if you have a tug. They are curious so the lead kicking up sand attracts them as does the beads. The worm provides scent and the squid a visual bait.

Good luck!

Another 3 plaice last night in an hour - smaller hooks has nailed it. Thanks guys

Turbot is my next challenge!
Other targets this summer are couch’s, trigger and John Dory!
Just change your bait. A long thin strip of fresh mackerel belly or a fillet of launce your best bet although frozen will work. Live sandeels if you can get them

Have you considered using a drogue? Sometimes, particularly atm the tidal race/current is too fast. Also I would recommend watching the fish locker videos on YouTube, had a lot of haters on here, but John is a decent bloke and informative too.
I have used a drogue in reservoirs (Hanningfield, Bewl & Rutland fly fishing for trout, worked well imo.

Back